Review: Return To Sender
As predicted, Andrew Garcia and Katie Stevens received the lowest number of votes this week, and as there are no more second chances left this season, both prepared to pack their bags. Ryan teased us all into believing that Big Mike was once again in jeopardy, but later revealed that he wasn’t even in the Bottom 3 (in fact, we never learned the identity of that mysterious third singer). Who will be the next to go? At this point, I imagine Tim Urban and Aaron Kelly are most vulnerable, although I’ve learned by now that pretty much anything can happen from week to week.
The evening’s other Big Event was Adam Lambert’s return to the “Idol” stage as a singer and he certainly didn’t disappoint. HIs amazing vocals combined with an impressive laser light show and fog effects prompted Ryan to greet Adam at the end with “Now that’s a performance!” Here are a few other things I noticed last night:
* Despite all the early hype of how Season 9 was going to be The Girls’ Year, only two of the remaining seven contestants are female.
* Next week’s guest mentor is Alicia Keys, who will be helping the finalists with their Inspirational Songs. How much do you want to bet that one of them is dusting off “I Believe I Can Fly” at this very moment?
* My friend Nancy Hajek pointed out that the judges will always criticize a singer when their performance is “corny” or “goofy,” and yet week after week, the show places them in those groups numbers that elevate “cheesy” to a whole new level! And last night’s medley of Elvis classics was possibly the most wince-inducing of all time.
* I wish Elliott Yamin would have another hit song. Until I saw him again last night, I’d forgotten how much I love him, and to this day I still get chills whenever I recall his emotional elimination back in Season 5.
* Goodbyes must really be an issue for me, because no matter how ready I am for a contestant’s exit, I always get a little choked up when it comes. I was never rooting for Katie Stevens, but it was hard not be moved as the lyrics of her swan song turned out to be poignant beyond belief.
* I had trouble following this week’s Ford music video. Were the cars turning into dirt and then growing into trees? Ford is converting our cities back into forests? Help me out here.
* Does anyone have a clue as to why Season 7 finalist Brooke White was doing a duet with the ex-boyfriend of Miley Cyrus? He can’t even sing. I suspect some sort of favor was being done there…
What did you think of last night’s show? Are you looking forward to the theme of Inspirational Songs? And who will be the next to go? Sound off below!