Mayor Villaraigosa 5 Traffic Beating Tips During “Carmaggedon”
Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa was in studio “On Air with Ryan Seacrest“ to talk about “Carmaggedon”. July 16 and 17th, the I-405 Freeway will be closed between the 101 and 10 freeway in both directions. Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa said, “This is what i’d say to people who are on the 405 now. If you think traffic is bad now, wait till this weekend.” Mayor Villaraigosa gave listeners some tips on how to bear traffic during what is now being referred to as “carmaggedon”.
The I-405 freeway has earned its repuation as the busiest and most congested freeway in the United States. An estimated 382,000 cars travel the I-405 daily and Los Angeles residents spend on aveerage 4 days a year stuck in traffic. Los Angeles traffic is the worst in the nation, but you ain’t seen nothing yet.
1. Stay home: Stay in or around your area. Antonio Villaraigosa says, “BBQ, listen to re-runs of Ryan Seacrest, do whatever you need to do to stay away from the area.”
2. Shop LA: If you live in the area, shop around your neighborhood. The Mayor said, “Go shopping at the Beverly Century, Century City, Hollywood, Topanga Plaza.”
3. Do NOT Drive: Avoid the freeway, avoid the side streets, ultimately just stay off the road this weekend. Traffic anywhere near the I-405 in the Los Angeles area will be heavely congested so keep your weekend stress free and stay away.
4. Walk or Bike: If you have to travel somewhere, walk or bike. Ryan says, “Bottom line is get on a bike, become Lance Armstrong.”
5. Free Public Transportation: Buses and subways are free during the 53 hour period while the I-405 is closed. Public transit is free, so take advantage of this perk and stay out of your car.
The closure of the I-405 Freeway is a major inconvienence to the daily travelers who rely on this freeway for commuting to work, school or traveling. Beware of the I-405 July 16th and 17th or be ready for a stressful, bumper to bumper car ride. The simple solution? Walk or bike to the places you need to go. Enjoy the sunshine and get some fresh air; find the silver lining to this situation. The freeway will reopen Monday morning, so spend some time outdoors this weekend and relax.
Have any I-405 traffic stories? Lets hear them in the comments below!